[gmx-users] How can I maintain a distance of at least 0.5 nm from each other of solutes

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 17 18:03:26 CEST 2010

rasoul nasiri wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for the replies.
> Since I want to increase distance among co-solvents with themselves and
> with solutes, i must firstly fill the co-solvents along solutes and
> solvents after that i remove solvent, finally by edittconf -translate
> the co-solvents uniformally is distributed in the appropriate distances.
> Is it OK?

Why bother adding solvent if you're just going to remove it?  Here's what I
would do:

1. Position solutes in the box with editconf -center
2. Add co-solvents (with a large value of -vdwd, I suppose)
3. Add solvent

I don't fully grasp why the initial position of the co-solvents matters so
precisely; you may have a hard time satisfying all of the simultaneous distance
requirements.  Everything is just going to diffuse around anyway during MD.
Maybe you have some reason I'm not thinking of, but it's a potentially
complicated problem to build.

-Justin

> Rasoul
>
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>

>         rasoul nasiri wrote:
>
>             Dear Justin,
>             Hello again
>
>             Thanks for the message. I want to increase the distance
>             between solutes in simulation box before MD simulation. How
>             can I do it?
>

>         You can't.  If you know you need a certain distance, that should
>         be part of your planning :)  I suppose you could run a pulling
>         simulation to separate your two species, but that requires
>         substantially more work (and setup considerations) than the two
>         or three quick editconf commands to properly build the system.
>

>     Correction: you can use editconf -translate with appropriate index
>     groups to separate your solutes.  This will also imply that you
>     haven't added solvent, which is the same thing as positioning the
>     two solutes appropriately in the first place (with editconf -center,
>     as I posted before).
>
>     -Justin
>

>     --
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul