[gmx-users] Problem with tabulated potentials

Jhony Tolengo polymerspace at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 23:32:47 CEST 2010

Hello Gromacs users,

This is constructive criticism to some people on the list...

Tabulated potentials are an advanced feature of Gromacs and the people who
is looking for help on the mailing list (certainly not experienced) deserve
a little respect, simply because they eventually will contribute to the
human knowledge, like probably every single person that search answers on
the list.

I'm saying this because of the dramatic answers that can be readed here:

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-April/050256.html

Gromacs manual requieres: knowledge about molecular modeling in general and
patience. More than a guide the manual is a challenge and specially the
tabulated potentials stuff. People often doesn't have time to learn a new
programming languaje to see inside the code to understand how the machine
works (this is the reason for a manual!). Because I usually work with high
MW polymers, I know the feeling of discouragement when you're trying to use
Gromacs for this kind of systems. But If I had received such an hysterical
answer like

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-April/050256.html

or

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-April/050252.html

without any doubt, I'd change the simulation software.

Mark.Abraham: take an anxiolytic pill if you continue suffering this mood
disorder when you receive an e-mail with a simple consultation.

Gareth Tribello: your guide doesn't tell anything that complements the
manual, why you have written it? (go to the talk shows if you  want to start
to be famous) I had to eat my pasta cold because of this gossips!

Peace.

J.M.S.