[gmx-users] 'SHAKE' : gromacs 4.0.7

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Apr 20 23:56:40 CEST 2010

Ramachandran G wrote:
> Hello gromacs users:
>         I installed the new version of gromacs and tried to run
> 'mdrun_mpi' in parrallel but it gives the error pasted below.
> When i switched the constrain from 'shake'  to 'lincs' it runs.   I know
> 'shake' algorithm compilation was done but i don't why
> i am getting this error.  The error does not arise when i run it in
> serial. Any help will be highly appreciated.

> Program mdrun_mpi_d, VERSION 4.0.7
> Source code file: constr.c, line: 830
>
> Fatal error:
> SHAKE is not supported with domain decomposition and constraint that
> cross charge group boundaries, use LINCS

The error message is really quite explicit.  SHAKE + constraints between charge
groups = failure.  You won't see any error in serial, because you can't run
domain decomposition on a single processor.  If you want to use SHAKE, either
run in serial, or perhaps you can try the old particle decomposition (mdrun
-pd), but the results in both cases will certainly be slower than if you use
LINCS and domain decomposition.

-Justin

> best,
> Rama