[gmx-users] the error for 2D periodic boundary

kecy_wu at sina.com kecy_wu at sina.com
Thu Apr 22 15:35:10 CEST 2010

 Hello,  when I use the 2D periodic boundary for the pr run , it just ran several steps then exited,  the log file has some error message like this :
Program mdrun, VERSION 4.0.5
Source code file: nsgrid.c, line: 357
Range checking error:
Explanation: During neighborsearching, we assign each particle to a grid
based on its coordinates. If your system contains collisions or parameter
errors that give particles very high velocities you might end up with some
coordinates being +-Infinity or NaN (not-a-number). Obviously, we cannot
put these on a grid, so this is usually where we detect those errors.
Make sure your system is properly energy-minimized and that the potential
energy seems reasonable before trying again.
Variable ci has value -1. It should have been within [ 0 .. 432 ]
If I use the 3D periodic boundary, it would be OK, but I have to use the 2D periodic boundary for my simulation, I don't know what is the reason. my pr.mdp file is below:
title               =  10tbppr
cpp                 =  /usr/bin/cpp
define              =  -DPOSRES
constraints         =  all-bonds
integrator          =  md
dt                  =  0.002 ; ps !
nsteps              =  30000 ; total 60.0 ps.
nstcomm             =  1
nstxout             =  100
nstvout             =  100
nstfout             =  0
nstlog              =  10
nstenergy           =  10
nstlist             =  5
ns_type             =  grid
rlist               =  1.0
; Eledtrostatics
coulombtype         =  PME
rcoulomb            =  1.0 ;distance for the coulomb cut-off
; VdW
vdwtype             =  cut-off
rvdw                =  1.4
DispCorr            = EnerPres
;Ewald
fourierspacing  =  0.3
fourier_nx  =  0
fourier_ny  =  0
fourier_nz  =  0
pme_order  =  4
ewald_rtol  =  1e-5
ewald_geometry          =  3dc
optimize_fft  =  yes
;Pbc and walls
pbc                     =  xy  ;ns_type must be grid
nwall                   =  2
wall_type               =  10-4
wall_atomtype           = SI SI
wall_density            = 10 10
wall_r_linpot           =  0.5
; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in three groups
Tcoupl              =  v-rescale
tau_t               =  0.1 0.1 0.1
tc_grps      = SOL C12 TBP
ref_t               =  300 300 300
; Pressure coupling is on
Pcoupl              =  parrinello-rahman
pcoupltype          =  semiisotropic
tau_p               =  0.5
compressibility     =  0 4.5e-5
ref_p               =  1.0 1.0
; Generate velocites is on at 300 K.
gen_vel             =  yes
gen_temp            =  300.0
gen_seed            =  -1
 could  you help me analyze the reason? thank you very much !