[gmx-users] Hydrocarbon system, help on mdp setting +output file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 24 04:10:17 CEST 2010

Moeed wrote:

> Dear gmx users,
>
> I am trying to run grompp program to preprocess the input files. input
>  > gro file contains coordinates of a stack of hexane molecules (256
>  > molecules)..
>
> 1- In the outpout file I see two notes. As with  note 1, Could you
> please help me understand what wrong with charge group is.

Please see the manual, section 4.6.2.  If a charge group is too large, its
center of mass may be beyond the cutoff, so no interactions will be calculated,
when, in fact, atoms within the group are actually be interacting.  So, with a
large charge group, you will almost certainly miss electrostatic interactions.

The note from grompp actually tells you pretty much exactly how to build
appropriate charge groups.  You can't get much better than that :)

> 2- Also, my system includes hydrocarbons (hexane as solvent and later I
> will add polyethylene). I am interested in vdw forces. I need your help
> regarding note 2 which is saying sth on electrostatic forces and coloumb
> cut -off. Which setting is the best for my system.

For energy minimization, it's probably not a major factor.  Plain cutoffs give
nasty truncation artefacts and were only really useful decades ago when
computers were far slower.  Again, read the manual about the methods that are
implemented in Gromacs and any literature about their benefits and limitations.

> 3- in mdp file, what is the sauitable setting for cpp.

The cpp parameter is irrelevant in Gromacs 4.0.x, since grompp has its own cpp.

-Justin

> [...]
>   groups can lead to serious cut-off artifacts.
>   For efficiency and accuracy, charge group should consist of a few atoms.
>   For all-atom force fields use: CH3, CH2, CH, NH2, NH, OH, CO2, CO, etc.
>
> initialising group options...
> processing index file...
> Opening library file /chem_soft/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
> Making dummy/rest group for T-Coupling containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for Acceleration containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for Freeze containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for Energy Mon. containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for VCM containing 5120 elements
> Number of degrees of freedom in T-Coupling group rest is 15357.00
>
> Making dummy/rest group for User1 containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for User2 containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for XTC containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for Or. Res. Fit containing 5120 elements
> Making dummy/rest group for QMMM containing 5120 elements
> T-Coupling       has 1 element(s): rest
> Energy Mon.      has 1 element(s): rest
> Acceleration     has 1 element(s): rest
> Freeze           has 1 element(s): rest
> User1            has 1 element(s): rest
> User2            has 1 element(s): rest
> VCM              has 1 element(s): rest
> XTC              has 1 element(s): rest
> Or. Res. Fit     has 1 element(s): rest
> QMMM             has 1 element(s): rest
> Checking consistency between energy and charge groups...
>
> *NOTE 2 [file em.mdp, line unknown]:
>   You are using a plain Coulomb cut-off, which might produce artifacts.
>   You might want to consider using PME electrostatics.*
>

> writing run input file...
>
> There were 2 notes
> gcq#39: "Yeah, a Wuzz, Or a Jerk" (F. Black)
>
>                          :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:
>
>                               S  C  A  M  O  R  G
>
>                             :-)  VERSION 4.0.7  (-:
>

>       Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
>        Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
>              Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
>             check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.
>
>          This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
>           modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
>          as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
>              of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
>
>                       :-)  grompp (double precision)  (-:
>
> processing topology...
> Analysing residue names:
> There are:   256      OTHER residues
> There are:     0    PROTEIN residues
> There are:     0        DNA residues

> em.mdp file I use:
>  >
>  > ;title               =  cpeptide
>  > cpp                 =  /lib/cpp
>  > define              =  -DFLEX_SPC
>  > constraints         =  none
>  > integrator          =  steep
>  > dt                  =  0.002    ; ps !

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee