[gmx-users] make_edi, g_covar -nofit

vijaya subramanian vijaya65 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 23:19:53 CEST 2010

Hi
I checked again with Gromacs 4.0.7 and I find that I have a problem
with make_edi when I use eigenvec.trr files generated using g_covar
-nofit.  I use the -nofit option because the data was already fit to a reference structure
using trjconv -fit rot+trans.
I end up with a segmentation fault when I use the following command:

make_edi -linfix "4,5,7,8" -outfrq 500 -f evec170nfit.trr -s fframe170compact.gro -o edsamp.edi -linstep ".000001 .000001 .000001 .000001"

As before I get the following message:

                         :-)  G  R  O  M  A  C  S  (-:

                 Good ROcking Metal Altar for Chronical Sinners

                            :-)  VERSION 4.0.7  (-:

      Written by David van der Spoel, Erik Lindahl, Berk Hess, and others.
       Copyright (c) 1991-2000, University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
             Copyright (c) 2001-2008, The GROMACS development team,
            check out http://www.gromacs.org for more information.

         This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
          modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
         as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
             of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

                               :-)  make_edi  (-:

Option     Filename  Type         Description
  -f evec170nfit.trr  Input        Full precision trajectory: trr trj cpt
-eig   eigenval.xvg  Input, Opt.  xvgr/xmgr file
  -s fframe170compact.gro  Input        Structure+mass(db): tpr tpb tpa gro
                                   g96 pdb
  -n      index.ndx  Input, Opt.  Index file
-tar     target.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
-ori     origin.gro  Input, Opt.  Structure file: gro g96 pdb tpr tpb tpa
  -o     edsamp.edi  Output       ED sampling input

Option       Type   Value   Description
-[no]h       bool   no      Print help info and quit
-nice        int    0       Set the nicelevel
-[no]xvgr    bool   yes     Add specific codes (legends etc.) in the output
                            xvg files for the xmgrace program
-mon         string         Indices of eigenvectors for projections of x
                            (e.g. 1,2-5,9) or 1-100:10 means 1 11 21 31 ... 91
-linfix      string 4,5,7,8  Indices of eigenvectors for fixed increment
                            linear sampling
-linacc      string         Indices of eigenvectors for acceptance linear
                            sampling
-flood       string         Indices of eigenvectors for flooding
-radfix      string         Indices of eigenvectors for fixed increment
                            radius expansion
-radacc      string         Indices of eigenvectors for acceptance radius
                            expansion
-radcon      string         Indices of eigenvectors for acceptance radius
                            contraction
-outfrq      int    500     Freqency (in steps) of writing output in .edo file
-slope       real   0       Minimal slope in acceptance radius expansion
-maxedsteps  int    0       Max nr of steps per cycle
-deltaF0     real   150     Target destabilization energy  - used for flooding
-deltaF      real   0       Start deltaF with this parameter - default 0,
                            i.e. nonzero values only needed for restart
-tau         real   0.1     Coupling constant for adaption of flooding
                            strength according to deltaF0, 0 = infinity i.e.
                            constant flooding strength
-eqsteps     int    0       Number of steps to run without any perturbations
-Eflnull     real   0       This is the starting value of the flooding
                            strength. The flooding strength is updated
                            according to the adaptive flooding scheme. To use
                            a constant flooding strength use -tau 0.
-T           real   300     T is temperature, the value is needed if you want
                            to do flooding
-alpha       real   1       Scale width of gaussian flooding potential with
                            alpha^2
-linstep     string .000001 .000001 .000001 .000001  Stepsizes (nm/step) for
                            fixed increment linear sampling (put in quotes!
                            "1.0 2.3 5.1 -3.1")
-accdir      string         Directions for acceptance linear sampling - only
                            sign counts! (put in quotes! "-1 +1 -1.1")
-radstep     real   0       Stepsize (nm/step) for fixed increment radius
                            expansion
-[no]restrain  bool no      Use the flooding potential with inverted sign ->
                            effects as quasiharmonic restraining potential
-[no]hessian bool   no      The eigenvectors and eigenvalues are from a
                            Hessian matrix
-[no]harmonic  bool no      The eigenvalues are interpreted as spring constant

list -linfix consist of the indices:4 5 7 8
list -linacc consist of the indices:
list -flood consist of the indices:
list -radfix consist of the indices:
list -radacc consist of the indices:
list -radcon consist of the indices:
list -mon consist of the indices:
trn version: GMX_trn_file (single precision)
Eigenvectors in evec170nfit.trr were determined without fitting
Read non mass weighted average/minimum structure with 4128 atoms from evec170nfit.trr
Read 2000 eigenvectors (for 4128 atoms)

Select an index group of 4128 elements that corresponds to the eigenvectors
Opening library file /sw/analysis/gromacs/4.0.7/centos5.4_pgi8.0.4/share/gromacs/top/aminoacids.dat
Group     0 (      System) has  4128 elements
Group     1 (     Protein) has  4128 elements
Group     2 (   Protein-H) has  4128 elements
Group     3 (     C-alpha) has  4128 elements
Group     4 (    Backbone) has  4128 elements
Group     5 (   MainChain) has  4128 elements
Group     6 (MainChain+Cb) has  4128 elements
Group     7 ( MainChain+H) has  4128 elements
Group     8 (   SideChain) has     0 elements
Group     9 ( SideChain-H) has     0 elements
Select a group: 3
Selected 3: 'C-alpha'

Segmentation fault

With the eigenvector.trr generated using g_covar -fit option I don't get the
segmentation fault.  The following line in the above log file
" Eigenvectors in evec170nfit.trr were determined without fitting" is replaced instead
with
"Read non mass weighted reference structure with 4128 atoms from evec170fit.trr"
and I get the edsamp.edi file.

I already performed covariance analyses using the -nofit option on my large protein and would like to use the results I have so far if possible.  If anyone knows
what the problem is, it would be of great help.

Thanks
Vijaya