[gmx-users] periodic boundary box

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 26 23:58:10 CEST 2010

Qian Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Gromacs4.0.5 to run a 20 ns npt simulation in periodic boundary
> box. At first I put peptide in the center of the box, then I write
> comm_mode = linear in *mdp file. However, the peptide still moves out of
> the box and go through to the other side of the box. Is there any method
> that can solve this problem?

What you're seeing is entirely normal:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions

> Another question is that after the peptide accross the box like I said
> above, I think if I want to use g_dist I should use "trjconv -nojump"
> first. Then if I use the umbrella sampling method and use g_wham -it
> tpr.dat -ix pullx.dat to analyze the data. Do I need to do any other
> steps before I use the  g_wham command?

Most Gromacs tools deal with PBC intrinsically, so g_dist may not need this
correction to work properly.  Run an analysis with and without PBC correction to
convince yourself.

Lots of periodic jumps may confuse g_wham, but I don't know offhand.  It is
probably preferable to avoid such jumps during mdrun to avoid bad interpretation
of PBC, but without a lot more information about how you set up your system,
there's not much more to say.  There is a tutorial linked from the Gromacs site
that explains a reasonable method for preparing a pulling system.

-Justin

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best,
> Qian