[gmx-users] Freezing a portion of a protein during simulation

Anirban Ghosh reach.anirban.ghosh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:11:41 CEST 2010

Hello Justin,

In my topology file I am declaring:
; Include Position restraint file
#ifdef POSRES
#include "posre.itp"
#endif

; Strong position restraints on rest of B2AR
#ifdef STRONG_POSRES
#include "strong_posre.itp"
#endif

; Include water topology
#include "spc.itp"
And in my .mdp file I am giving:
define           = -DSTRONG_POSRES
; Run parameters
integrator      = md            ; leap-frog integrator
nsteps          = 5000          ; 2 * 50000 = 100 ps
dt                 = 0.002         ; 2 fs
But now what I am getting is that if I run MD using these restraints on the
helical portion of the protein, then I am getting LINCS errors. However, if
I allow the entire protein to move during MD, then it is running fine. What
mistake am I making? And how can I freeze properly the helical portions and
simulate only the loop? Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,

Anirban