[gmx-users] g_wham gets stuck

Amir Marcovitz amarcovitz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:41:10 CEST 2010

Thanks for your answers,

I tried to struggle a bit more with that today.
my input dat files listings (i.e., tpr-files.dat, pullf-files.dat and
pullx-files.dat) are fine and consistent with other in terms of file
numbering.

i use gromacs 4.0.5 on Linux with gcc 4.1.2 compiler.

i run: *g_wham -it tpr-files.dat -if pullf-files.dat -o -hist -unit kCal -b
1000    *(my data is 16ns long and i ignore the first ns)

and it starts reporting that the file are read:

Reading file topol742.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
File topol742.tpr, 1 groups, geometry "distance", dimensions [N Y N], (1
dimensions)
        grp 0) k = 1000.000  inittial distance = 2.41331
Reading file topol748.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
Reading file topol761.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
Reading file topol792.tpr, VERSION 4.0.5 (single precision)
and so on..

it reports that the boundaries are found and continue to read until it
stucks..

However, when i do the WHAM with the pullx files (i.e., -ix pullx-files
instead of -if pullf-files.dat) the wham converges within a reasonable time
to a PMF profile which not so smooth.

i therefore have some questions:
1) what is the difference in the profiles for using  pullx or pullf files?
2) suppose that my histograms overlap is poor for some locations along the
pulling vector, how one can solve that?
3) To generate the input configurations -  what is the ideal pulling
procedure?  ( i used     pull = constant_force, with a small value of K1)

Again, Thanks a lot for the quick reply
Amir