[gmx-users] Constrained simulations crash when bilayer moves in the z direction in the box

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 29 16:28:33 CEST 2010

ERIKSSON, EMMA wrote:
> The last section of my mdp file:
>
> pull                     = constraint pull_geometry            = cylinder
> pull_r1                  = 1.0 pull_r0                  = 1.5 pull_group0
> = DPPC pull_group1              = MOL pull_vec1                = 0 0 1
> pull_init1               = 3.083
>
> comm_mode                = linear nstcomm                  = 1 comm_grps
> = DPPC_CHOL_MOL SOL
>
> With my small molecule being MOL. I'm constraining the distance between the
> DPPC and the small molecule at different distances along the z direction of
> the bilayer. This example is for the distance being 3.083 nm between the two
> groups. The total z box length is ~7.2 nm. Even when I'm running without
> constraint the system is translating in the z direction but no crash occurs
> when the pbc is crossed.

At this point, it would probably be useful to understand how you set up and
build the system.  The original 128-lipid DPPC from Tieleman is ~6.5 nm in the
z-dimension, so somewhere along the way you've picked up 0.7 nm.  Is there void
space in your box?  Did you remove the water and re-solvate?

There is no reason (in my mind) why the bilayer should be translating in the
z-dimension at all.  I've done a number of simulations with this particular DPPC
bilayer and never had a problem.  Maybe you can also post your whole .mdp file
to see if there are any problems.

-Justin