[gmx-users] Constrained simulations crash when bilayer moves in the z direction in the box

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Apr 29 16:44:24 CEST 2010

ERIKSSON, EMMA wrote:
> The increase in z box length is due to that I have replaced 12 DPPC lipids by
> cholesterol molecules. Cholesterol reduces the area per lipid and compresses
> the bilayer lateral (xy) area, resulting in a slight increase in the water
> layer thickness. I have performed exactly the same simulations with a higher
> concentration of cholesterol (in which the bilayer is even more compressed
> and the water phase therefore is even thicker) and there is no translation in
> any of the simulations.

So if I understand correctly, you have different levels of cholesterol in DPPC,
and at low cholesterol concentration you get a z-translation of your membrane,
but at high concentration of cholesterol, you get no translation at all?  Can
you plot (using g_traj -com) the motion of the membrane to quantify just how
much the membrane is moving?  And again I would ask that you post your entire
.mdp file, just to see your settings.

-Justin