[gmx-users] grompp error-box vectors

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Aug 1 01:15:38 CEST 2010

Moeed wrote:
> Dear gmx users,
>
> I am trying to compress a single polymer chain. grompp is giving the
> error below:
>
> Program mdrun, VERSION 4.0.7
> Source code file: ns.c, line: 2299
>
> Fatal error:
> One of the box vectors has become shorter than twice the cut-off length
> or box_yy-|box_zy| or box_zz has become smaller than the cut-off.
>
> I dont realize the error exactly...I tried compressing with different
> ref pressures of 30 10 and 1 bar.. can you please guideme whre the
> problem lies.

Your box is compressing too fast and you're violating the minimum image convention:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Minimum_Image_Convention

I suspect you'll have to compress your system more slowly, otherwise your box
vectors are just going to crash in on your polymer chain before it has time to
adjust its configuration.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate