[gmx-users] Problem in pullx file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Aug 5 14:14:17 CEST 2010

Aswathy wrote:
> Let me explain.
>
>  Consider the channel of a membrane protein, r57 is a residue at the
> extracellular loop in this channel. I docked my ligand to the start of
> the channel. ie; just below the r57. (Here the I have not started from
> the solvent, but at the mouth of the channel , just below r 57..) Then I
> pulled the ligand through the channel(parameters as in the first mail).
> ie; pulled in such a way that, initially  ligand was just below r57,
> then moved away from r57.
>
> Plz check some data from the pullx file.
>
> 0.0000    7.74891    -0.754818
> 0.0200    7.74388    -0.754379
> 0.0400    7.73726    -0.752573
> 0.0600    7.73032    -0.756692
> 0.0800    7.72422    -0.747781
> 0.1000    7.72041    -0.754858
> 0.1200    7.71691    -0.744501
> 1099.8601    8.45571    5.46432
> 1099.8800    8.45551    -5.46076
> 1099.9000    8.45817    -5.46827
> 1099.9200    8.46075    5.46829
> 1099.9401    8.46317    -5.46782
> 1099.9601    8.46545    5.46577
> 1099.9801    8.46565    -5.47014
> 1100.0000    8.46651    5.46001

This looks exactly correct, although it appears you're dealing with some
periodic jumps across the box (hence +/- 5.4 nm).  If the initial displacement
is roughly -0.7 nm and the final distance is -5.4 nm, then you've pulled 4.7 nm,
and if you subtract the fact that the reference group moved 0.7 nm (from 7.7 nm
to 8.4 nm), you pulled exactly 4.0 nm.  I don't know how you came up with 1.9 nm
earlier.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate