[gmx-users] hyperthreading

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 16:24:11 CEST 2010

Dear All,

I'm putting together a new Dell Xeon cluster running ROCKS 5.3 which
uses CENTOS (6 I believe). This is currently ~20 dual quad-cores with
roughly 16 GB of RAM each.

In any case, I wanted to inquire about hyperthreading. Does anyone
have experience on similar machines with vs. without hyperthreading?
The ROCKS users list suggests that hyperthreading ought always be off
for HPC applications, which sounds overly simplistic to me, though I
more or less follow the logic of this.

So, has anyone done any benchmarking yet in a similar setting, and
what thoughts do you have? I obviously can do some benchmarking myself
as well but I thought I'd check in with the list first.

Thanks so much,
David

--
David Mobley