[gmx-users] Conformational sampling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 10 01:56:45 CEST 2010

Nisha:

Simply applying available tools and seeing if the distribution looks
okay is not a good plan. You should have a very well-defined idea of
what you are trying to test and then pick a tool to get that done.

For example, perhaps you have a reference that provides the converged
distribution of a dihedral and you want to see if your run reproduces
this value. You would then use some tool, or combination of tools, to
calculate the dihedral values and create a histogram of them.

Without an outside standard, it is certainly impossible to use a
single run to prove that your sampling has converged. It is only
possible to prove that it either (a) remains unconverged, or (b) that
there is no evidence that it is unconverged.

In this case, if you really care about it, the best thing to do is to
run a few separate simulations starting from different starting
conformations (be sure to start from different dihedral basins). Then
plot the time-average of some observables (e.g. the distribution of
sampling of a given dihedral) and the values from different runs
should "converge" to the same distribution if you run long enough --
this is the true meaning of convergence, what many people do by way of
things like block averaging is just a hack since one usually only has
the resources to run a single trajectory.

And don't forget that there are more things to converge than just
dihedrals. You could also look at pairwise combinations of dihedrals,
etc. Note that I'm trying to keep the advice general here because I
assume that you're eventually going to tackle something more complex
than glycine.

Chris.

> Well I guess, what I am trying to get at is, for my system I want to
> make sure that 100ns has covered all the conformational changes
> within the molecule, although I know there is not that much
> conformational changes for glycine molecule, but I just wanted to
> confirm. I did run g_angle command and I got the theta values for
> different groups and the distribution looks okay according to me (I
> compared the average angle values that I obtained from g_angle to
> the actual angle values.

Then that's probably the best you can do for a molecule as simple as
glycine.  I
would certainly think that rotation about such few bonds would happen within
even less time than 100 ns.

-Justin