[gmx-users] pdb2gmx-4.5 treats DNA as protein (and fails)

Maiki uccamcw at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 16 14:44:20 CEST 2010

David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2010-08-16 12.34, Maiki wrote:
>> So, anybody knows why it does that or how to deal with nucleic acids?
>> I only saw one similar question asked recently (with different error)
>> which was also left without answer.
> Not all force fields have complete support for DNA. Try Charmm.
I tried all the forces I got with gromacs and they all failed with
different errors (ok, amber worked, but I wanted to try gromos for some
reasons). For charmm the error was:

    "There is a dangling bond at at least one of the terminal ends and
    the force field does not provide terminal entries or files. Edit a
    .n.tdb and/or .c.tdb file."

so, it looks that charmm also tries to find N- and C- termini (or I
don't understand the error message which is also more than possible)
Besides, gromos does recognise DNA base pairs (DTHY for thymine etc,
they are in ff files) and all its atoms, only in the end it asks this
stupid question 'where is my NH3+ group?' and fails...

There may be something with my pdb format but that's what I got from
rcsb/pdb. Is there a canonical description of PDB format expected by ffs
in pdb2gmx so I could correct my input myself? (if it's going to help)