[gmx-users] pull code absolute reference

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Aug 18 18:54:38 CEST 2010

bv07ay wrote:
> Hello,
> i am having trouble using the pull options in gromacs 4.0.4.  i am
> simply trying to move a protein from the top of the box to a certain
> point in the center.  i have had no luck using a constant pulling or
> umbrella pulling the error i receive is:
>
> "You are using an absolute reference for pulling, but the rest of the
>   system does not have an absolute reference. This will lead to artifacts."
>
> here is my most recent .mdp pull options:
>
> ; PULL
> pull                        = umbrella
> pull_geometry                = position
> ;pull_group0                =
> pull_init1                = 3.279 3.279 3.90
> pull_group1                = MID
> pull_dim                = Y Y Y
> pull_k1                        = 50
>

> is there a way to make my system have an absolute reference? or is there
> some other way of pulling it that has worked for others?

The error message is related less to the pull options than it is to COM motion
removal.  For instance:

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-April/041329.html
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2006-July/022753.html

If you search the mailing list archives you will find lots of related posts.  I
pulled those up immediately by searching: "absolute reference" pulling.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee