[gmx-users] pbc atom

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 24 17:40:25 CEST 2010

Yup, just got the link. Thank you for posting, and sorry that I missed
it. It seems possible that Justin is correct and you'll get good data
if you take it out of the pullx.xvg file (perhaps the g_dist tool is
wrapping pbc for you).

1. How big is your box definition in your .gro file?

You are right that you need the actual distance, which is not provided
directly. I think you want this (assuming that cols 5,6,7 give you the
dx,dy,dz, which I believe that they do):

cat pullx.xvg | grep -v '[#|@]' | awk '{print
$1,sqrt($5*$5+$6*$6+$7*$7)}' > my.data

2. If you do this to a window > 2.0 nm and generate a histogram, do
you still get two peaks?

A quick look at the src/tools/gmx_dist.c file indicates that it should
only apply periodicity if you give it a .tpr where PBC was applied --
you can check this by comparing the dx, dy, dz out of g_dist with the
values in pullx.xvg

If the problem is not solved here, then you can send me off-list all
the files needed to run a window around 2.5 nm plus all the output
that you have obtained from a single run and I'll take a look if you
wish. If you'd rather not do that and there are still problems, then
perhaps you can post a step by step from the beginning where you copy
and paste absolutely all of your commands (e.g. paste the *exact*
grompp, mdrun, g_dist, etc. commands) and the complete .mdp file and
the last line in your starting .gro file.

Chris.