[gmx-users] pbc atom

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 24 20:21:17 CEST 2010

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
> There are 168 atom types in my system, 2 molecules comprising of 84
> atoms each. The average temperature is 600 K but there are large
> fluctuations ca ~100 K, which I assume is expected with such a smal
> system. Ill check the energies

I would think it possible, even likely, that the thermostat is driving the
behavior of your system, since it contains so few atoms.  Do check to see if
temperature spikes correlate with movement of your pull_group to one side of the
sampling window.  If it is the problem, try a different thermostat (or at least
longer tau_t with N-H), and/or a substantially stronger pull_k1 if you're sure
you need/want N-H as your thermostat.

I certainly agree with Chris' proposed test with two water molecules.  If you
see the same thing, I'm even more confident that I'm right :)

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar