[gmx-users] Attempting to scale gromacs mdrun_mpi

NG HUI WEN HuiWen.Ng at nottingham.edu.my
Fri Aug 27 07:53:06 CEST 2010

Thanks a lot Roland!

I'm using Beowulf cluster which I believe uses ethernet connection (1 node = 1 cpu in my case). I found an article by Kutzner et al (2006) which talks about the problem in speeding up parallel processing in such clusters. Does it mean that if i continue to use the ethernet-connected cluster and not gone for the 4.5 beta version, I'm stuck with a low number of processors due to the difficulty in scaling? Thanks again for your advice!

Huiwen

Hi,

you don't write what network you have and how many cores per node. If it is
ethernet it will be difficult to scale.
You might want to try the 4.5beta version because we have improved the
scaling with it. Also there is a tool g_tune_pme which might help you.

Roland