[gmx-users] How to control and interpret g_density analysis more precisely?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 28 02:55:45 CEST 2010

Alex Matyushov wrote:
> Dear Gromacs community,
>
> I've been using g_density to analyze distribution of atoms in an
> elongated box with a lipid bilayer and lipid monolayers at each end of
> the box. My results suggest that it found the density along the
> z-coordinate, which is the longest dimension in the box. That is indeed
> what I wanted but how would I check for sure what exactly it did? Or
> what if I wanted to find the density distribution in a different
> direction in the box? Say I wanted it as a function of coordinates in
> the x-direction. How would I specify it?
>
> Overall I'd just like to have a better understanding and control over
> what exactly g_density is doing because right now I feel that I'm just
> getting some numbers out but who knows how.

I would suggest that you start by reading the contents of g_density -h.  There
you will see the default options (one of which happens to be the box dimension
along which the density is calculated).  You should never run a command blindly,
hoping to get an answer.  The manual has implementation details for many of the
algorithms that the tools utilize, information that will help you make wise choices.

-Justin

> Thanks!
>
> Alex

Justin A. Lemkul