[gmx-users] AFM Pulling Simulations

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 17:20:44 CEST 2010

On 26/08/10 19:56, chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
> Natalie:
>
> It would also be a good idea for you to ensure that your supervisor
> knows how difficult it is to learn and correctly apply these methods. If
> they think that a person can learn linux and gromacs and the gromacs
> pull code in a short period of time, then the stage is set for
> frustration and ultimate disaster.
>
> Lots of people think that these things are plug and play -- of course,
> they are not.
>
> If you don't have a mentor nearby who can help you, then figuring this
> all out and getting some meaningful data could easily take you a year. I
> don't mean to scare you off, but it is true that while no professor asks
> a new student to get protein crystals within a few months, that request
> is often made for simulation results from experimental supervisors.
>
> Perhaps the gromacs community should be working toward getting
> testimonials to the significant amount of time that it can take to learn
> to run simulations properly on the gromacs site that new users could
> direct their supervisors to in the case that those supervisors are not
> acquainted with molecular simulation.

I couldn't agree more. I have been thrown into learning GROMACS and
designing a coarse grain model from scratch (my background is that of an
experimentalist, doing AFM pulling experiments, by the way!), all
practically by myself. I mean: I *wanted* to learn all of that, I just
didn't expect I would have done it *alone*. So I read the Frenkel-Smit
book, the GROMACS manual, and banged my head a lot (luckly I was already
experienced with Linux and programming). No wonder one year after, I'm
just beginning to see where I am going *sigh*.

m.