[gmx-users] individual lateral diffusion coefficients

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 2 19:06:07 CET 2010

Ángel Piñeiro wrote:
> Dear all,
> I aim to calculate the lateral diffusion coefficients of lipids as a
> function of the distance to a membrane protein using the Martini force
> field. For this I guess I could use the diff_mol.xvg output file of the
> g_msd command which provides the list of diffusion coefficients for each
> lipid (I guess the lipids are ordered as in the trajectory file). Then I
> would calculate the protein-lipid distance for each lipid and I would
> generate the diffusion vs distance file. Before starting the
> calculations on the membrane protein system I tested the g_msd command
> on a DPPC bilayer. In my bilayer simulation I removed the COM of lipids
> and water separately. Before analyzing it I removed jumps over the box
> boundaries using trjconv -pbc nojump and I created a index file with the
> PO4 atoms as a new group. Then I executed the following command:
>
> g_msd -s topol.tpr -f trajnojump.xtc -n p.ndx -lateral z -rmcomm
>
> from which I get the following output:
> D[       PO4] 0.0958 (+/- 0.0135) 1e-5 cm^2/s
>
> I think the value is not crazy for DPPC at 323 K using Martini... but I
> noticed that the D values for the independent lipids reported in the
> diff_mol.xvg file range from 0.0021959 to 0.482909 cm^2/s. If the
> differences are so high for a single lipid bilayer I suspect that I will
> not observe significant differences as a function of the distance to the
> protein in my simulations of the whole system... probably I am doing
> something wrong¿?

In my experience, this is to be expected.  To calculate reliable diffusion
coefficients, you need very well-converged data, and for individual lipids, this
effect is even more pronounced.  How long is your trajectory, and how often did
you save snapshots?

Note too, that the results of g_msd can be impacted by -trestart, -beginfit,
-endfit, etc.

-Justin

> Thanks for any advice
>
> Ángel Piñeiro.