[gmx-users] Re: individual lateral diffusion coefficients

Ángel Piñeiro angel.pineiro at usc.es
Thu Dec 2 20:55:08 CET 2010

Dear Javier, Justin, Xavier...
Thank you very much for your feedback. Finally I decided to create a
group for each PO4 in my system and calculate all the individual
diffusion values. I also plotted all the MSDs as a function of time and
took a safe -beginfit -endfit interval for the fittings. I think that I
took a very short interval (only 25 ns) but after that time the MSD
slope changes for some lipids (in some cases it becomes negative!). I
guess I should try with different -trestart values... I saved snapshots
every 150 ps. My bilayer trajectories (without protein) are 2
microseconds long (note that I am using Martini) but I decided to do
this analysis after the first microsecond.

The command I am using within a loop which runs over all the lipids is
something like:

g_msd -s topol.tpr -f traj.xtc -n p.ndx -b 1000000 -e 1150000 -trestart
1000 -lateral z -rmcomm -beginfit 1500 -endfit 25000

And the dispersion between individual diffusion values is much lower
now... with these parameters they range between 0.04 and 0.25 (x 10-5
cm2 s-1)

I will try with different trestart values but it seems that I am closer
now... I will follow testing with pure bilayers for a while... My
simulations with proteins are 5 microseconds long. I plan to calculate
the protein-lipid distance for all the lipids as a function of time over
the last 0.5 microsecond or so and then I would have arguments to
discuss the corresponding diffusion values. Hope this is reasonable...

Greetings,

Ángel.