[gmx-users] pdb2gmx and atomtype.atp

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 3 16:40:53 CET 2010

Sarath Chandra wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>

> I have a nitroxide radical with lone pairs on oxygen which has to be
> attached to Adenine of a RNA. I have the forcefiled for the nitroxide
> radical and as well as i have obtained the charges for the link atoms
> using resp. I use specbond.dat to make the link between the nucleotide
> and the radical molecule and all of that goes well. The problem comes in
> the topol.top file. Lonepair on oxygen has an atom type LP and I have
> two lone pairs LP1 and LP2.
>
> The atomtype charge and mass for LP1 are assigned properly but for the
> LP2 atomtype is that of 'Br' and charge is 0 mass is just weird.
>
> topol.top output__________________________________________
>
>  445         ON     14   ATEM    OT5    445     -0.118         16   ;
> qtot -11.78
>  446         LP     14   ATEM    LP1    446      -0.11          3   ;
> qtot -11.89
>  447         Br     14   ATEM    LP2    447          0 1.48594e-41   ;
> qtot -11.89
>

> If i interchange the first two lines of the atomtypes.atp, for LP2 i get
> atomtype 'C'
>
> C                 12.01000    ; sp2 C carbonyl group
> Br                79.90000    ; bromine

This indicates to me that pdb2gmx is failing to find an appropriate atom type
and is instead simply assigning the first type it comes to, yielding undefined
charges and masses.

> If there was a problem with the forcefield files the error in assigning
> atomtypes should happen for both LP1 and LP2. I have played with the
> atom names using LPx and LPy, the error repeats with LPy and I also
> changed the atom lines order in the pdb file. I can simply correct the
> atomtype, mass, charge and my simulation works well. No problems with
> grompp either. I have checked the line spacings and they are all fine. I
> was just wondering if there is something I have overlooked or if it was
> a bug.

There isn't an "LP" type by default in atomtypes.atp for amber99sb.ff; have you
added it?  What's in your .rtp file?  You haven't shown us any relevant input,
so it's impossible to diagnose whether this is a Gromacs problem or just
something you've overlooked.

-Justin

> ____________________
>
> A small second issue to report that if you introduce a blank line
> (either for fun or by mistake) at the end of the atomtypes.atp file,
> pdb2gmx hangs and stays like that until you kill it
>
> pdb2gmx output................
> _____________
>
> Opening force field file
> /home/dsarath/Utilities/share/451//amber99sb.ff/aminoacids.r2b
> Opening force field file
> /home/dsarath/Utilities/share/451//amber99sb.ff/dna.r2b
> Opening force field file
> /home/dsarath/Utilities/share/451//amber99sb.ff/rna.r2b
> Reading Test-5T.pdb...
> Read 'Great Red Owns Many ACres of Sand', 447 atoms
> Analyzing pdb file
> Splitting PDB chains based on TER records or changing chain id.
> There are 1 chains and 0 blocks of water and 14 residues with 447 atoms
>
>   chain  #res #atoms
>   1 ' '    14    447
> All occupancies are one
> Opening force field file
> /home/dsarath/Utilities/share/451//amber99sb.ff/atomtypes.atp
> Atomtype 1
>
> -------------------here pdb2gmx hangs
>

> Best Wishes,
>

> Sarath
>
> ________________
>
> Sarath Chandra Dantu
> Computational Biomolecular Chemistry
> Max Planck Institute of Biophysical Chemistry
> Am Fassberg 11,
> Gottingen
> 37077
> Germany