[gmx-users] pressure fluctuations

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 7 03:43:12 CET 2010

Hassan Shallal wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I have some concerns about the both the pressure fluctuations and
> averages I obtained during the equilibration phase. I have already read
> through several similar posts as well as the following link
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Pressure. I understand
> the pressure is a macroscopic rather than instantaneous property and the
> average is what really matters. I also found out through similar posts
> that negative average pressure indicates the system tendency to contract.
>
> In the above link, it mentioned that pressure fluctuations should
> decrease significantly with increasing the system's size. In my cases, I
> have a fairly big systems (case_1 with *17393* water molecules
> and case_2 with *11946 *water molecules). However, the pressure still
> has huge fluctuations (around 500 bars) from the reference value (1
> bar). Here are the average pressure and density values resulting from
> the equilibration phases of two cases, please notice the negative
> average pressure values in both cases...
>
> Case_1_pressure:
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Pressure                   *-2.48342*       0.92    369.709   -4.89668
> (bar)
> Case_1_density:
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Density                     1022.89       0.38     3.8253    2.36724
> (kg/m^3)
> Case_2_pressure:
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Pressure                   *-8.25259*        2.6    423.681   -12.1722
> (bar)
> Case_2_density:
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Density                     1034.11       0.37    2.49964    1.35551
> (kg/m^3)
>
> So I have some questions to address my concerns:
> 1- each of the above systems has a protein molecule, NaCl to give 0.15 M
> system and solvent (water) molecules... Could that tendency to contract
> be an artifact of buffering the system with sodium and chloride ions?

I suppose anything is possible, but given that these are fairly standard
conditions for most simulations, I tend to doubt it.  My own (similar) systems
do not show this problem.

> 2- how to deal with the tendency of my system to contract?  Should
> I change the number of water molecules in the system?
> or
> Is it possible to improve the average pressure of the above systems by
> increasing the time of equilibration from 100 ps to may be 500 ps or
> even 1 ns?
>
> 3- Is there a widely used range of average pressure (for ref_p = 1 bar)
> that indicates acceptable equilibration of the system prior to the
> production?

To answer #2 and #3 simultaneously - equilibration is considered "finished" when
your system stabilizes at the appropriate conditions (usually temperature and
pressure).  Your results indicate that your equilibrium is insufficient.

> 4- I can't understand how the system has a tendency to contract whereas
> the average density of the solvent is already slightly higher than it
> should be (1000 kg/m^3).

The contraction causes the density to rise.  Pressure and density are not
independent; density is a result of pressure.

> I would like to ignore the pressure based judgement of the above
> equilibration given that the average density values are very close to
> the natural value (1000 kg/m^3) (by the way I am using tip3p water model
> with CHARMM27 ff) Any comment!!

It is not guaranteed that simulation water models will reproduce the real
(experimental) density of water.  If memory serves, the expected density of
TIP3P should be ~0.98 g mL^{-1}, but I could be wrong.

> 5- Is the huge fluctuation of the pressure values of the above system
> despite thier large sizes still acceptable? or large fluctuation is only
> acceptable for small size systems and is unacceptable for large size
> systems?
> If it is unacceptable, any idea of how could it be alleviated or minimized?

The fluctuations seem reasonable.  You might try equilibrating with the
Berendsen barostat first, then switching to Parrinello-Rahman.  The P-R barostat
allows for wider fluctuations, so if the system is poorly equilibrated, your
system will be slower to converge.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate