[gmx-users] Trjcat append error

Rosanne Zeiler rosanne.zeiler at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 10:30:49 CET 2010

  Dear all,

I've been trying to concatenate three .xtc files with some overlapping
frames. The simplest way:

trjcat -f 1.xtc 2.xtc 3.xtc -o 4.xtc

worked very well but was slow. The second way:

trjcat -f 1.xtc 2.xtc 3.xtc -o 1.xtc

kept some overlapping frames between 1 en 2, just as the help tells you
actually. So far no real problems
Then I wanted to append since 1.xtc is the biggest file without the
overlapping frames so I tried:

trjcat -f 1.xtc 2.xtc 3.xtc -o 1.xtc -overwrite

trjcat now gives the following error:

Will append to 1.xtc rather than creating a new file
Reading frame       1 time 74664.000
Program trjcat_f, VERSION 4.5.1
Source code file: gmx_trjcat.c, line: 702

Fatal error:
Error seeking to append position.

I used gmxcheck to check 1.xtc and nothing seems to be wrong. I can just
use the first method, but I was wondering if someone knows how to append
in the correct way.

Thanks!

Rosanne