[gmx-users] Invalid atom number 101717 in indexfile

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 10 13:26:06 CET 2010

Natalie Stephenson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've come across this error when performing grompp of my pull files
> before an afm simulation.  I'm not really sure I understand why it's
> saying it ... I've checked over my index file and the atom is part of
> the solvent I've solvated the box with during genbox commands.
>
> The input on the grompp I performed was ...
> grompp -f md_pull.mdp -c npt.gro -p topol.top -n index.ndx -t npt.trr -o
> pull.tpr
> which produced the error below ...

> Program grompp, VERSION 4.5.3
> Source code file: readir.c, line: 1371
>
> Fatal error:
> Invalid atom number 101717 in indexfile
> What is it I'm doing wrong?! :-S I'm not even really sure where the
> error lies with this one? Is it a step I've performed earlier that's
> incorrect?  Can I just remove this atom from the index file and hope for
> the best?

Never make ad hoc changes to any file that Gromacs produces unless you know the
consequences of doing so.  If make_ndx wrote that atom number, it did so for a
reason.

How many atoms are in your system?  How did you create the .ndx file?

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar