[gmx-users] Extreme

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 21:06:02 CET 2010

Hi Pawan,

I can add two things. First of all, the score is simply the projection
of a point (conformation) onto the eigenvector. Second, extreme
scores/projections, be it positive or negative, are usually most
unlikely, thus corresponding to highest energy. For the  lowest
energies, you'd be looking for projections that occur most, thus
correspond to the modus of the distribution (hence 'modal').
I hope with this, you'll have enough to hold on to work your way
through. If it still eludes you, I'm sorry, but I don't think I can
help you much further to sort it out. Probably the best you can do is
find some texts from statistics about principal component analysis
(plenty on the web), and take some simple (non-MD) exercises. If
you've got the view on PCA straight, then turn back to MD. Oh, maybe
the paragraph on PCA in my thesis (see
http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/science/2006/t.a.wassenaar/02_c2.pdf)
may also be a useful read.

Good luck!