[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 80, Issue 88

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Mon Dec 13 18:34:02 CET 2010

The distance between the com of the pulled group and the dummy particle
/ spring you have implicit in pullf.xvg (implicit since, it's the
distance modified by the force constant of the spring, to get the force).

I think the best one can do (to see which are which distances and how
they are related to each other), is to run a small simulation and look
into the distances with a plotting program:

For example if you use 'pull_geometry=position' you have:
REF position of the reference group - in pullx.xvg
RP  distance between reference and pulled group - also in pull.xvg (this
distance you can also get with g_dist and using both groups as input)
PS  distance between pulled group and spring - in pullf.xvg (just divide
with the force constant)
RS  distance between reference group and spring (initial distance
between spring and reference group and spring + time * pulling_velocity
(modified by the pull_vector))

Since you know all three distances, you can calculated one of the with
the two others and look if they are the same.
So RP + PS = RS etc.

With 'pull_geometry=direction' it should be similar simple, but i think
with 'pull_geometry=distance' it becomes nastier, if your molecule/s
start to rotate and the pulling_vector doesn't remain constant.

Greetings
Thomas