[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 80, Issue 90

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Dec 13 19:57:32 CET 2010

On 10-12-13 01:29 PM, gmx-users-request at gromacs.org wrote:
> ubject: [gmx-users] Question about COM-Pulling
> To: MAILINGLIST GROMACS<gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>
> Hi,
>
> although this is not relevant to my previous question:

It is indeed relevant.

> I used mdrun like this:
>
> mdrun -v -s pull.tpr -o pull.trr -cpo pull.cpt -c pull.gro -e pull.edr
> -g pull.log -px pull_dist.xvg -pf pull_force.xvg
>
> With an input-file like this:

> ; Run-Parameter
> integrator = md
> dt = 0.002
> nsteps = 1000000
>
> ; OUTPUT CONTROL OPTIONS
> nstxout = 5000
> nstvout = 5000
> nstfout = 5000
> nstlog = 5000
> nstenergy = 5000
>
> pull_nstxout = 100 ;
> pull_nstfout = 100 ;
>
> rlist = 1.2
> ns_type = grid
> coulombtype = PME-Switch
> rcoulomb = 1.0
> vdw-type = shift
> rvdw = 1.0
> rvdw_switch = 0.9
> pbc = xyz
>
> tcoupl = V-rescale
> tc-grps = Protein Non-Protein
> tau_t = 0.1 0.1
> ref_t = 300 300
>
> pcoupl = Berendsen
> pcoupltype = isotropic
> tau_p = 2
> ref_p = 1
> compressibility = 4.5e-5
>
> DispCorr = EnerPres
> continuation = yes
>
> constraint_algorithm = lincs
> constraints = all-bonds
>
> pull = umbrella
> pull_geometry = distance
> pull_dim = N N Y
> pull_start = yes
> pull_ngroups = 1
> pull_group0 = reference
> pull_group1 = pull
> pull_rate1 = 0.01
> pull_k1 = 1000
>
> ...I get an output for pull_dist.xvg which looks sth. like this:

> # This file was created Fri Nov 26 16:22:53 2010
> # by the following command:
> # /mnt/nas1/c_muecksch/GROMACS_4.5.3/bin/mdrun_mpi_4.5.3_s -v -s
> pull.tpr -o pull.trr -cpo pull.cpt -c pull.gro -e pull.edr -g pull.log
> -px pull_dist.xvg -pf pull_force.xvg
> #
> # mdrun_mpi_4.5.3_s is part of G R O M A C S:
> #
> # Grunge ROck MAChoS
> #
> @ title "Pull COM"
> @ xaxis label "Time (ps)"
> @ yaxis label "Position (nm)"
> @TYPE xy
> @ view 0.15, 0.15, 0.75, 0.85
> @ legend on
> @ legend box on
> @ legend loctype view
> @ legend 0.78, 0.8
> @ legend length 2
> @ s0 legend "0 Z"
> @ s1 legend "1 dZ"
> 0.0000 1.1675 3.47701
> 0.2000 1.1675 3.48043
> 0.4000 1.1675 3.4795
> 0.6000 1.1675 3.48214
> 0.8000 1.1675 3.4869
>
> and so on

Here you have time, the z position of your reference group and the
difference along z between your pull group and your reference group.
There is no "dummy particle" as the spring extends between the
"reference" group at z=1.1675 and the "pull" group, which in the first
frame is located at z=1.1675 + 3.47701.

I have used the pull code since v3.3.1 and I do not recall there ever
being a dummy particle when using:

pull = umbrella
pull_geometry = distance

It is the distance of the restraint that changes over time in your setup.

Chris.