[gmx-users] free energy calculation problem

Jin Wen jin.wen at Colorado.EDU
Tue Dec 14 08:24:23 CET 2010

Hi all,

I am using Gromacs4.5 for free energy calculations. At the beginning 6 lambda (0, 0.2, 0.4, 0.6, 0.8, 1.0) are used to test my system.
There are two problems:

1. dV/dlambda value at lambda=0.0 is more than 300,000 KJ/mol, which is ten times large than those at the other lambda values (around 30,000 KJ/mol). All simulations at each lambda value are done during 100 ps. Since all the dV/dlambda is extremely large, I am wondering what it is related to.

2. Delta G value should be similar when the conformation is transfered from B state to A and in different sign. But integrations of all dV/dlambda are both positive in both cases (A to B, and B to A) in my results.

I attach free energy stuff in the input file below.

; Free energy control stuff
free_energy              = yes
init_lambda              = 0.100
foreign_lambda           = 0.1