[gmx-users] Re: gb_saltconc in implicit water simulations

Per Larsson per.larsson at sbc.su.se
Tue Dec 14 21:13:10 CET 2010

Hi!

Sorry that I missed this discussion, we recently moved the lab and there where quite many things to attend to.

When we did the implementation of implicit solvent into Gromacs, one of the strong points was to see how fast we could make it, to speed up conformational sampling as much as possible. Adding in the extra Debye-Huckel term for a non-zero salt-concentration was not a priority at the time. It might be a bit unfortunate that the option anyway exists in the mdp-file.
I will try and see if I can find the time to put it in, but that will not happen in the next coming weeks although I agree that it would be very useful to have :-)

When it comes to the use of explicit ions in an implicit solvent, I hate to say that I'm not much of an expert, really. Having said that, and someone else is very welcome to correct me on this point, there does not seem to exist a wide body of literature about this. In addition to the paper that Justin pointed to, there is some work done by Michael Feig (eg. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16928023).
Also I think that particularly with DNA there are problems with the theory itself as it does not handle high salt-concentrations very well.

Cheers
/Per