[gmx-users] Brownian Dynamics Simulations generating huge log files

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Dec 16 21:09:37 CET 2010

Nimesh Jain wrote:
> I am attaching the file, The simulation doesn't seem to crash, the log
> gets updated for sure. Hope you can make some sense of it.

A few things:

1. Please do not attach entire log files.  That took forever for my mail client
to download with no ability to abort.

http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists#Mailing_List_Etiquette

2. Since I had already downloaded such an enormous file, I looked through it
anyway, and found several potential problems:

a. You probably have problems in your tables:
"WARNING: For the 4981 non-zero entries for table 2 in table_SA_SB.xvg the
forces deviate on average 44% from minus the numerical derivative of the potential"

b. Your value of nstlog is nonsense: "nstlog  = 1215752192" indicates that mdrun
did not find a reasonable value, i.e. you have exceeded the maximum size for an
integer.  Use a large, but sensible, setting.

c. Your system is exploding, with a temperature of 1.14469e+04.

I suspect that the large log file is produced by the instability of the system,
and hence you're getting a huge amount of diagnostic information, much of which
is somewhat cryptic.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate