[gmx-users] compilation instructions, the gromacs wiki, documentation, and test suites

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Tue Dec 21 04:07:02 CET 2010

<<I have changed the topic to continue a conversation that started on
"cmake --> relocation R_X86_64_32S against `a local symbol' can not be
used when making a shared object;>>

Dear Roland:

It is not my intention to be confrontational, your assistance was very
useful, I appreciate it very much, and I realize that it's not your
job to comment everything (or even answer my questions on this mailing
list). Further, I have actually contributed significantly to the
gromacs wiki in the past, but it's not a wiki anymore and the barrier
to posting is enough that I'm not the only person who has given up on
it.

Second, I would like to mention that as a user I am extremely hesitant
to upgrade my gromacs version due to the lack of commenting and lack
of a good test suite. Anybody who used the free energy code with TIP4P
in 2008/2009 or used the pull code in the early versions of gromacs 4
will probably agree with me that testing and documentation are at
least as important as new code.

I'm not asking anybody else to add documentation or test suites. I'm
simply pointing out that gromacs is falling behind in these areas and
it is not necessarily a good thing. I think that there is a utility in
simply noting this.

Sincerely,
Chris.