[gmx-users] compilation instructions, the gromacs wiki, documentation, and test suites

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 22 04:39:02 CET 2010

chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
> Dear Roland:
>
> I am not sure what my barrier is electronically, only that there is a
> barrier. The web site has changed since my last attempt to make
> modifications, but I still can not add to the site as I once could when
> it was simply a wiki. Currently, I have a tab labeled "[MISSING:
> skin.common.this-page]" and if I click on it there is an edit page
> option but it is commented out, even when I am logged in.

To edit the wiki, you have to be added as a contributor by Rossen after you've
created your account.  This process started when the Gromacs site transitioned over.

> My suggestion for the documentation and the test suite is that these
> aspects of gromacs become part of the "vision" in the way that speed is
> prioritized. A while back, myself and a colleague had a gromacs
> pull-code extension turned down as a contribution because it would
> negatively impact the overall performance of gromacs in the general
> case. After I mulled that decision over for a while, I realized that it
> was actually a very good and very important decision made by the
> developers to keep gromacs as fast as possible over the long term even
> if that meant losing out on some bells and whistles in the short term.
> So I would suggest that this philosophy might be usefully applied to
> code development and that modification acceptance would be dependent on
> the provision of both documentation and a test suite. Not glamorous, I
> know, but it's my two-cents and it's why I tend to stay more than a year
> behind the release cycle with my important runs.

I tend to be the same way.  I will usually play with new features, but I haven't
done any production runs with any version post-4.0.7 (mostly due to the fact
that I prefer continuity).  I agree with this assessment.  The need for a test
suite that actually works has been debated for a long time, usually amounting to
incremental progress at best, but it seems that other MD packages provide
extensive tests, though Gromacs does not.  I know many are willing to help
develop it, and I guess we're waiting on a way to effectively communicate, set
priorities and to-do lists, and put it all in motion.  Is the Redmine
infrastructure on the way?  Do we have an estimate on when that might be
available?  I think it would really help.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar