[gmx-users] simulation of membrane protein

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 22 14:19:23 CET 2010

shikha agarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with Gromacs. I want to do MD simulations with my
> membrane proteïn in a POPE-membrane. Therefore I followed Justin
> Lemkul's tutorial on membrane proteïn simulation.  I want to add ions.
> But when I use grompp to get a .tpr
>
> file for genion, Gromacs fives the following error:
>
> /Program grompp, VERSION 4.0.7
>
> Source code file: ../../gromacs-4.0.7/src/kernel/grompp.c, line: 320/
> /Fatal error:
> No molecules were defined in the system
> /
>
>  help me.

There are two likely reasons this error arises:

1. You have badly mangled your coordinate file, such that grompp cannot
determine the proper number of atoms in it.
2. You haven't updated your [molecules] directive in the .top.

I would suggest you take another look through the tutorial, as topology
organization and coordinate file construction are both discussed in depth.

-Justin

> shikha agarwal
> IIIT-A

Justin A. Lemkul