[gmx-users] dssp

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Dec 24 22:53:20 CET 2010

mustafa bilsel wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem with dssp programme.
> I have the programme in /home/m/DSSP. When I write
> export DSSP=/usr/local/bin
> and then I check /usr/local/bin I couldn't see dssp.
> How can I handle this problem. I have caheceked gromacs website
>
> export DSSP=/path/to/dssp
>
> setenv DSSP /path/to/dssp
>
> commands are written.
> Could you write export DSSP=/path/to/dssp command according to me.

The proper setting for the environment variable is explained in great detail here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Gromacs_Utilities/do_dssp

Note the line "If this is not the case, you must set the DSSP environment
variable accordingly, pointing to the actual dssp executable, not just the PATH
to it."

> And also I use Ubuntu 10.04, setenv is not used, if I try to install it, I
> see the package not found message.
> What should I do about it?

Learn what your shell uses and apply it.  You're more than likely running bash,
in which case "export" is the command to use.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee