[gmx-users] Replicating an experiment

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Dec 25 15:28:19 CET 2010

On 2010-12-25 15.05, NG HUI WEN wrote:
> Dear all,
> Merry Xmas! I have a very quick question here which i'd like to pick
> your brain on, would really appreciate a reply.
> I am planning to replicate an experiment that I have carried out. Just
> wondering what is the best way to do it? I am thinking of changing the
> starting velocity of my system by setting a random number e.g 23412445
> etc in the gen_seed section as below, not sure if it is meaningful to do so?
> gen_vel = yes
> gen_temp = 300.0
> gen_seed = random number
> Thank you for your input!
That will work fine, if you simulate long enough. Consider that the
starting structure may also influence how different your results  will
be, e.g. for a protein in water. For liquids there is no such problem.
You can do a simulation and slightly elevated temperature and pick
structures from that with a different random seed, in order to randomize
your simulations even more.
> HW
> <<

> message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the
> University of Nottingham.

> computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> permitted by UK & Malaysia legislation.
>
>  >>

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.