[gmx-users] How to suppress the error "X particles communicated to PME node Y are more than a cell length out of the domain decomposition cell of their charge group

WU Yanbin wuyb02 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 23:22:54 CET 2010

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

As suggested, I tried a "water in vacuum" case. Initially the water droplet
is a cubic 4nm-by-4nm-by-4nm water box, located in the middle of the
simulation box. Everywhere else is just vacuum. The simulation box size is
8nm by 8nm by 8nm. SPC/E model is used to describe interaction between water
molecules.

Such system is first equilibrated with "steep" option.

The "mdrun" simulation goes with no problem with parallel running on 32
cpus, even though there are occasionaly one or two water molecules move very
fast (Mean square displacement being 200 times fast than bulk water) in the
vacuum.

When I switch to 64 cpus, the error "X particles communicated to PME node Y
are more than a cell length out of the domain decomposition cell of their
charge group" appears.

Below is the parameter file I'm using.

------------------------------------
integrator               = md
tinit                    = 0
dt                       = 0.002
nsteps                   = 5000000

comm-mode                = Linear
nstcomm                  = 1
comm-grps                =

energygrps               =

nstlist                  = 1
ns_type                  = grid
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 1.5

coulombtype              = PME
rcoulomb-switch          = 0
rcoulomb                 = 1.5
epsilon-r                = 1

vdw-type                 = Cut-off ;Switch
rvdw-switch              = 1.0
rvdw                     = 1.5

fourierspacing           = 0.12
fourier_nx               = 0
fourier_ny               = 0
fourier_nz               = 0
pme_order                = 4
ewald_rtol               = 1e-05
ewald_geometry           = 3d
epsilon_surface          = 0
optimize_fft             = no

Tcoupl                   = nose-hoover
tc-grps                  = System
tau_t                    = 1.0
ref_t                    = 300

Pcoupl                   = no ;Parrinello-Rahman ;no ;berendsen
Pcoupltype               = isotropic
tau_p                    = 1.0
compressibility          = 4.5e-5
ref_p                    = 1.0

gen_vel                  = no
gen_temp                 = 300
gen_seed                 = 2008

constraints              = none
constraint-algorithm     = Lincs
Shake-SOR                = no
shake-tol                = 1e-04
lincs-order              = 4
lincs-warnangle          = 30

energygrp_excl           =

Is there any parameters configuration wrong with the simulation? Or is there
any way to go around this error?

Any tip is appreciated.
Thank you.

Best,