[gmx-users] Fwd: pulling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Dec 27 17:13:38 CET 2010

Dear mohsen:

In US, there is no need to apply the force based on the COM. You can
select any reaction coordinate that you want. Be sure that the
reaction coordinate is not changing over time though (the COM is
particularly refractory to this, which is probably why it is used, in
addition to the COM being conceptually simple). The good news is that
you check this like you check every convergence issue is US -- by
block averaging your data and ensuring that there is no drift over time.

Note though that US is not the only method to get binding free
energies and you might want to try free energy perturbation with the
gromacs "free energy" code instead of using the gromacs "pull code" to
do US.

Chris.