[gmx-users] Potential Energy = -nan

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Dec 27 19:25:29 CET 2010

shikha agarwal wrote:

> hi,
> I m tried nstxout=1 in my  .mdp file.
>
> Potential Energy  =           -nan
> Maximum force     =  3.5637456e+07 on atom 2455
> Norm of force     =           -nan
>

> help me!

The purpose of nstxout=1 is not to give you a different result.  It might aid
you in watching the trajectory to determine what is going wrong.  From these
values, and everything I have seen thus far, you have a physically unreasonable
system.  Either you have atomic overlap or a topology problem.  Unless you
provide substantially more diagnostic information, then pleas like "help me"
will get you nowhere.  You haven't even provided a description of your system
beyond "membrane protein."  The contents, topology sources, steps taken up until
now, etc are all necessary pieces of information.

Please read the last sentence of the following page, and visit the link therein:

http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists#Mailing_List_Etiquette

-Justin

> regards:
>
> shikha