[gmx-users] glycam force field problem

Oliver Grant olymacfoogal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 21:57:06 CET 2010

Hi Xiaodu,

Yes I remember now I had the same problem. Copy the forcefield.itp to your
working directory and make the change there. Your working directory is
searched first. However as you will be including a protein in your
simulation you will need to have fudge set to 0.5 for 1-4 scaling with the
AMBER forcefield...
Personally I would look into doing mixed scaling with gromacs. This is how
it is done in amber (the software package) when mixing these two forcefields
but I can't help you here with gromacs, but I believe from reading the AMBER
mailing list archive it is possible to scale on a per molecule basis.

http://dev-archive.ambermd.org/200812/0000.html

Here is the relevant part of the thread:

Hi Rob,
  It was great to see you yesterday at the glycan array workshop. I'm
here with Erik Lindahl, and we're chatting about implementing mixed
1-4 scaling in gromacs. It's easy to enable on a per-molecule basis.
Enabling on a per-residue and per-atom basis is certainly possible,
but there are a bunch of ways to do it. Do you have a sense of how
you'd like to see this done? One idea would be to enable two
different 1-4 pair types, one with default 1-4 scaling and one with
user-specified scaling. And how should the interface be handled? I
assume that it goes to default at that point (we want the protein 1-4
scaling at the NLN).

Best wishes,
--Peter