[gmx-users] minimization

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Dec 28 03:12:32 CET 2010

mustafa bilsel wrote:
> Hi all,
> At the end of the minimisation I obtained potential energy value
> approximately -40,000 and I see the following warning
> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.Converged to machine
> precision, but not to the requested precision Fmax < 10

Please see the following:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#Stepsize_too_small.2c_or_no_change_in_energy._Converged_to_machine_precision.2c_but_not_to_the_requested_precision

> As far as I know for succesful minimisation potential energy must be
> between -100,000 and -1,000,000.

Potential energy is dependent upon system size and the nature of the
interactions therein.  You should not presuppose a specific value or range thereof.

-Justin

> My em.mdp file as follows
>
> integrator= steep
> emstep=0.1
> nsteps=10000000
> nstlist=10
> rlist=1.0
> coulombtype=pme
> rcoulomb=1.0
> vdw-type=cut-off
> rvdw=1.0
> nstenergy=10
>
> My minimisation stops at approximately 19,000 th step.
> Is my minimisation acceptable?If no, how can I correct it?
>
> best wishes
> Mustafa

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate