[gmx-users] Optimization of the box size during an energy minimization?

MyLinkka mylinkka at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 19:11:52 CET 2010

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your answer!

As far as I understood, the virial expression of pressure has two parts,
the kinetic energy contribution and the potential energy contribution. Even when
temperature is undefined or zero, the product of pair force and distance between
atoms still contribute to the microscopic pressure tensor. In the EM algorithm,
if this pressure tensor is included in the target function to be minimized, it should
be able to optimize the box size as well as the atom positions, because the pressure
tensor is a functional of box size.

However, it's good to know that Gromacs is not doing this task. Thanks!

Ting Li