[gmx-users] rmsd value discrepancy from g_rms & g_cluster

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Feb 3 23:21:54 CET 2010

Segun Jung wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have used g_rms and g_cluster for RNA structure analysis and noticed
> that they give me different rmsd values.
>
> For example, calculating rmsd values using the g_rms gives me a minimum
> rmsd value of 0.7nm, but using g_cluster
>
> it gives me the minimum rmsd value of 0.3nm. Both uses the same atom
> (C3') for the rmsd calculation.
>
> Would someone clarify this issue?

These tools don't provide a redundant function, from what I understand.  If you
think that you're somehow using g_cluster to calculate an absolute RMSD, please
provide the command line you're using.  My understanding of g_cluster (and my
previous usage of it) suggests that the RMSD is somewhat relative, defining RMSD
from a cluster member, not a single reference from, for example, the start of
the simulation (or whatever frame you choose), as is the case with g_rms.

If you're still not convinced, post your command lines and the snippet of the
relevant output files that are causing you concern.

-Justin

> Many thanks,
>
> Segun

Justin A. Lemkul