[gmx-users] problems with intel I7 (2.67 GHz)

Martti Louhivuori m.j.louhivuori at rug.nl
Fri Feb 5 18:22:30 CET 2010

[Alexey Shvetsov, 18.12.2009]:
>On Пятница 18 декабря 2009 23:47:34 David van der Spoel wrote:
>>Alexey Shvetsov wrote:

>>>Well its usual behavior of systems with HT (Hyper threading) enabled. so
>>>its better to disable HT on such cpus so any cpu eating application like
>>>gromacs will run faster on it.
>>
>>No, this is not what I have heard from Berk Hess, he said that running 8
>>processes on 4 cores gives a speed up of 6-7 times a single core.
>>
>>It sounds more like you need to tune the kernel such that jobs stay on
>>the core they are on. As far as I know Ubuntu is a Desktop OS, maybe you
>>want a Server OS?
>>
>In this case seems cpuaffinity was turned off for mpi apps. check that
>kernel has cpusets support
>alexxy at xeon /misc/_Work/RecA/pca $ zgrep CPUSET /proc/config.gz
>CONFIG_CPUSETS=y
>CONFIG_PROC_PID_CPUSET=y
>
>And check that your openmpi compiled with support of cpusets

The problem of Gromacs stalling on i7 when using multiple CPUs is a MPI
problem. It is most likely caused by a shared memory bug in Open MPI
that was fixed in the latest release (1.4.1).

Switching to openmpi-1.4.1 solves the problem.

Best regards,
-martti-
--
Post-doctoral research fellow
Moleculaire Dynamica | University of Groningen