[gmx-users] making topology file for infinite crystal

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Feb 7 18:29:32 CET 2010

Vishal Agarwal wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> I am trying to make topology file for cellulose II. The monomer unit is
> glucose (residue type GLCA). I do the following:
>
> pdb2gmx -f cellulose.gro

So then your "cellulose.gro" contains all the atoms of GLCA monomers, named
exactly as the force field expects them?  Have you checked against the .rtp
entry?  What force field are you using?

> I am getting the following error while using pdbgmx.
>
> "Fatal Error:
> Atom -O not found in residue 2 while adding improper"
>
> Atom type "O" is actually not part of the GLCA residue. Only atom type
> OA is part of GLCA residue.

pdb2gmx is complaining about an atom, not an atom type.  Somewhere in the .rtp
file (probably within the [impropers] section, there should be a line specifying
an atom named O that belongs to the preceding residue (hence the minus sign).
None of my .rtp files are like this.  Did you create a custom .rtp entry?

> Do I need to modify the rtp entry to suit my system or does this error
> corresponds to something else ?

That will depend upon the answers to the above questions.  If you created the
.rtp entry, then you'll have to fix the problem of naming mismatch.  If you're
using the standard .rtp entry for the force field, then it's easier to modify
your coordinate file to match the naming expected by the force field.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar