[gmx-users] Re: Lennard-Jones Rdf plot

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 9 00:39:27 CET 2010

Lum Nforbi wrote:
> Justin,
>
>   This is in response to your mail on this subject. My objective was to
> do an NPT simulation of a 200 particle fluid using Lennard-Jones
> parameters only. I also used the atomic number, atomic mass, and
> Lennard-Jones parameters(sigma in nm and epsilin in KJ/mol) for the
> oxygen atom, and the force field files which I generated. I have
> included my procedure and  the parameter and topology files I used below.
>
> (1) I chose one set of 3 random coordinates(x,y,z) and multiplied them
> using packmol to generate 200x3 random coordinates.

<snip>

> Pressure (bar)             0.278412     89.842    89.8327 0.000447827
> 4.47828
> Volume                      10.0719    0.42992   0.426807 -1.78902e-05
> -0.178902
> Density (SI)                528.134    13.6698    13.5568 0.000607606
> 6.07606

I would say your system is not at equilibrium.  Your average pressure is far
from your ref_p of 1.0 bar, and the average volume would indicate average box
vectors of about 2.15 nm (on average).  So, if you started at 2.7 nm, the box
has likely reached a value of less than 2.0 nm, indicating that your 1.0-nm
cutoffs are violating the minimum image convention.  Plot these data
individually and look for systematic trends that can be giving errors in your
data.  Probably the additional peaks you describe and bizarre behavior at the
tail of the plot is due to spurious PBC interactions.

Again, I did not open the attachment.  Nothing personal, but as I said before,
public file sharing sites are more appropriate.  I just don't like unsolicited
attachments, and further, people who subscribe to the list in digest form will
not get them, so they will not necessarily be able to help as easily.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar