[gmx-users] TIP4p water in gromos force field files (OWT4 and IW)??

Rasmus Lundsgaard RAL at kt.dtu.dk
Tue Feb 9 13:08:49 CET 2010

Dear Justin (and the rest)

I have been using the TIP4p water model with OPLS-AA and TraPPE - and
now for comparison I would like to try with the Gromos force field. From
the TIP4p.itp file in the /shared/top directory it states:

#ifdef _FF_GROMACS
1       OWT4            1       SOL      OW     1       0.0
2       HW              1       SOL     HW1     1       0.52
3       HW              1       SOL     HW2     1       0.52
4       IW              1       SOL      MW     1      -1.04
#endif
#ifdef _FF_GROMOS96
1       OWT4            1       SOL      OW     1       0.0    15.9994
2       H               1       SOL     HW1     1       0.52    1.008
3       H               1       SOL     HW2     1       0.52    1.008
4       IW              1       SOL      MW     1      -1.04    0.0
#endif

So from this it should be implemented in the GROMACS  gromos nb and bon
files - right?!? I mean that the OTW4 and IW are in the ffgmxnb,
ffgmxbon (hence the ifdef _FF_GROMACS).

What I mean is that if it's very rare to use gromos with TIP4p water
models (and maybe even not a strictly correct use of the force field),
why is it then mentioned in the TIP4p.itp example file in the official
GROMACS release?

Best regards
Rasmus Lundsgaard